The Club has a corp of trained volunteer official measurers around the country who provide the public service of measuring North American big game animals for entry into the Records.
*To access a list of current official measurers in your area, click here.
Useful Measuring Equipment – The Basics
The fundamental tools required to measure and compute the score of a big game animal are:
- Measuring cable (along with an alligator clip) – for measuring the length of main beams and points with curvature, as well as for marking baselines of points
- Lip-end measuring tape – for measurements taken with the cable and for directly measuring points
- Ring-end measuring tape – useful in taking the circumference measurements, because the “zero” reading is inset from the end of the tape
- P&Y Measurer’s Manual – a complete guide to measuring procedures for all big game species. Those interested specifically in whitetail deer would find the publication, A Hunter’s Guide to Measuring Whitetail Deer, very useful instead, as it contains the detailed procedures specifically for whitetail deer (typical and non-typical)
The above items can be ordered from the Pope and Young Club online, in the Merchandise section of this web site, or by contacting the Club’s national office at PO Box 548, Chatfield, MN 55923, 507-867-4144.
These basics will enable you to determine a rough idea of the score for a specific animal. To be considered an accurate and official score, the animal must be measured by a certified P&Y official measurer AND then the entry materials must be submitted to, and accepted by, the Pope and Young Club for inclusion into the Records Program.
Becoming a Volunteer Official Measurer
Official measurers serve the Club at the discretion of the Records Chairman, being appointed by the Records Chairman. We presently have 975 volunteer official measurers in North America. There are areas in which we presently have an adequate number of measurers. In other areas, we are looking for additional interested individuals who are willing to donate their time and talents in this capacity.
Among the criteria considered in making such an appointment:
- Reason for interest
- Need for measurers in that area
- Membership in the Pope and Young Club (we encourage all prospective official measurer candidates to join the Club as a member)
- Successful completion of our Measurer Training Workshop (limited, invitation-only, 3-day class)
If you are interested, the first step would be to complete and return an official measurer application. Completed applications will be placed on file at the headquarters and character references will be contacted, in preparation for future potential invitations to a workshop.
Official Measurer Application (downloadable pdf)